Watching Inside Out (2015) for a second time reminded me of all the reasons why I love this movie so much. Inside Out, like many other Disney-Pixar movies, is entertaining for both kids and adults. As an adult, I laughed, I cried and I left the movie with the realization that deeper concepts were embedded within the simple plot. Here are the 8 main takeaways that I got from Inside Out:
- Changes are scary! Whether you’re an adult or a kid, going through a life change is never easy. One of the most important things is to surround yourself with people who love and care for you, and don’t be afraid to lean on them for support. More importantly, you have to find strength within yourself but it is more than okay to rely on others when you need it.
- We are constantly changing and growing. This is something we should always strive for. Similar to our memories, new parts of us are constantly building upon old ones. We will constantly be going through new experiences. Throughout this, it is important to keep an open mind and…
- Embrace every part of yourself. Whether it’s the bits that you love or the ones you aren’t so proud of. The good and the bad are what makes up who we are and makes us unique as individuals. Stay true to who you are at the core!
- Inevitably, part of change is letting go of the past. I cried when Bilbo.. died?? 😦 but that is the reality. As we grow up, we must learn to let go of parts of ourselves. Some memories will stay with us forever as core memories, but some need to be let go of for new ones to form. However, they will forever have had an impact on our lives and helped develop who we are now.
- Don’t be afraid to feel sadness. Just like happiness, it can bring people together.
- Similarly, all our emotions work together and all are necessary at some point or another. Often, our emotions are inextricably linked and can not act alone. It’s all about a balance.
- Pain as a form of realization. Pain, sadness, fear and hurt are feelings we all try and avoid. However, they often help form crucial parts of our lives. Even our most painful memories can serve a meaningful purpose in our life and help us to grow.
- It’s never too late to rebuild yourself or your life. Even through what feels like destruction, it is never too late to get back up and to keep trying. No mistake is a bad mistake, so as long as you learn from it. Take the new found knowledge and keep on going!
Though some of these ideas may be blatantly obvious at times, a quick reminder never hurts. I know I need it once in awhile.